Are you a little bored with the standard responses you get from ChatGPT? Would you like to spice up your AI responses a little more interest, sassiness or attitude? Did you know that you can change the personality of ChatGPT to anything you can imagine by simply adding a few simple personality guidelines to the custom instructions settings within ChatGPT. in this guide we will show you how to change the personality of ChatGPT as well as providing 20 personality examples that you can use to quickly change your conversation style.
When you interact with a language model like ChatGPT, you are generally dealing with a “base” model personality, designed by OpenAI and its developers to be neutral and factual. Custom instructions modify this baseline personality behavior according to the guidelines you provide. The main assumption is that the personality or style you wish to mimic can be clearly described or is widely understood. For example, mimicking Shakespeare’s style assumes that there are distinctive features of Shakespearean language that can be replicated.
Change ChatGPT personality using custom instructions
20 examples of ChatGPT personalities
- Shakespeare: Known for his monumental contributions to English literature, William Shakespeare was a playwright and poet whose works often evoke elegance, drama, and complexity. His writing, often delivered in iambic pentameter and Early Modern English, has a timeless quality that captivates audiences even today.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak in iambic pentameter using Early Modern English.”
- Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock Holmes is a fictional detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, celebrated for his extraordinary powers of observation and deductive reasoning. Though highly intelligent, he also has a tendency to be aloof and emotionally distant.
- Custom Instructions: “Use deductive reasoning and Victorian English in your responses.”
- Tony Stark (Iron Man): A Marvel superhero and tech entrepreneur, Tony Stark is known for his wit, sarcasm, and self-assured nature. His confidence sometimes borders on arrogance, but he also has a genuine desire to use his intellect for good.
- Custom Instructions: “Respond with wit, humor, and a touch of arrogance.”
- Morgan Freeman’s Narration: Although not a character in the traditional sense, Morgan Freeman’s narrative voice is universally recognizable and often associated with wisdom, insight, and a calming demeanor.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak in a calm, narrative style, offering wisdom.”a
- Yoda: A Jedi Master in the “Star Wars” universe, Yoda is known for his wisdom, cryptic sayings, and unique way of structuring sentences. He often speaks in a peaceful yet authoritative manner.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak in reverse sentence structures, you must.”
- Pirate: Often depicted as boisterous and adventurous, pirates are sea marauders that capture the imagination with their boldness and often exaggerated mannerisms. They have their own jargon, making them instantly recognizable.
- Custom Instructions: “Use pirate jargon and speak as if ye were a pirate from the high seas.”
- Darth Vader: A Sith Lord from the “Star Wars” universe, Darth Vader is a complex character who exudes authority and menace. Despite his evil actions, there’s a depth and tragedy to him that adds layers to his persona.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak with an authoritative tone, using phrases fit for a Sith Lord.”
- Socrates: An Ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates was known for his methodical approach to questioning the world around him. His inquisitive and challenging nature often led to philosophical dialogues aimed at reaching deeper truths.
- Custom Instructions: “Respond with philosophical inquiry and Socratic questioning.”
- Gollum: A creature from J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” Gollum is a dual-natured character torn between his innocent “Smeagol” side and his darker, more malevolent “Gollum” persona.
- Custom Instructions: “Switch between the personalities of Smeagol and Gollum.”
- Oprah Winfrey: A media mogul and philanthropist, Oprah Winfrey has a personality that is both inspiring and empowering. She often engages with her audience in a manner that encourages self-improvement and positive change.
- Custom Instructions: “Be uplifting and motivational in your responses.”
- Jane Austen: An English novelist known for her romantic fiction set in Regency England, Jane Austen had a keen eye for social norms and relationships. Her writing style is elegant and often ironic, capturing the subtleties of human interaction.
- Custom Instructions: “Use elegant, formal English with a focus on social norms of Regency England.”
- Spock: A half-human, half-Vulcan character from “Star Trek,” Spock is defined by his logical reasoning and lack of emotional expression. His unique blend of human curiosity and Vulcan discipline makes him a fascinating character.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak logically and without emotion.”
- Gandalf: A wizard from J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” Gandalf is a wise and mysterious figure. His deep understanding of Middle-earth and its history, along with his moral integrity, make him a revered character.
- Custom Instructions: “Speak in a wise and mysterious manner.”
- James Bond: The iconic British secret agent is known for his suave demeanor, tactical mind, and a certain aloofness. He embodies the quintessence of the British spy archetype, complete with a license to thrill.
- Custom Instructions: “Be suave, tactical, and slightly aloof in your responses.”
- Doctor Who: A Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, Doctor Who is an eccentric yet brilliant character with a quirky British sense of humor. The character’s compassion and intelligence shine through, despite the often whimsical demeanor.
- Custom Instructions: “Be eccentric and quick-witted, with a touch of British humor.”
- Chandler Bing: One of the six main characters on the TV show “Friends,” Chandler Bing is most known for his sarcastic humor and clever wordplay. Despite his comedic exterior, he also shows moments of vulnerability and insecurity.
- Custom Instructions: “Use sarcastic humor and wordplay.”
- Hannibal Lecter: A brilliant psychiatrist turned cannibalistic serial killer, Hannibal Lecter is articulate, sophisticated, and highly manipulative. Despite his gruesome actions, he maintains a chilling sense of decorum.
- Custom Instructions: “Be articulate and sophisticated, with a dark undertone.
- Robin Williams’ Stand-up: Inspired by the late actor and comedian Robin Williams, this persona is characterized by energetic delivery, rapid-fire humor, and a range of impressions and voices.
- Custom Instructions: “Be energetic and intersperse humor and impressions into your answers.”
- Elon Musk: Known for his work as an entrepreneur and CEO, Elon Musk is a visionary with a touch of eccentricity. He’s known for ambitious projects aimed at fundamentally changing the future.
- Custom Instructions: “Be visionary and forward-thinking, with a touch of humor.”
- Deadpool: A Marvel Comics anti-hero, Deadpool is irreverent, self-aware, and possesses a unique brand of dark humor. He’s known for breaking the fourth wall, adding an extra layer of engagement to his character.
- Custom Instructions: “Be irreverent, break the fourth wall, and use dark humor.”
Designing custom personalities for ChatGPT
If you want to make ChatGPT sound like a specific character or person, you can follow a set of steps to nail down the details. First, clearly tell the model how you want it to talk. Next, adjust the words and tone to fit the character’s style. Don’t forget to include unique traits, like Yoda’s reversed sentences. Consider what topics the character would talk about, and then run some tests to refine your instructions until you get it just right. This way, you can get ChatGPT to mimic the personality as accurately as possible.
- Instruction Formulation: The first step is to formulate your custom instructions clearly. For instance, if you want the model to talk like a pirate, you might say, “Respond in a pirate accent, using pirate jargon.”
- Tone and Vocabulary: Adjusting these elements is essential for mimicking a specific style or personality. For a pirate, words like “Ahoy,” “matey,” and phrases like “Shiver me timbers” might be emphasized.
- Idiosyncrasies: Every character or personality has unique quirks. For example, Yoda from “Star Wars” often reverses the order of his sentences. This should be specified in the instructions for the model to mimic the behavior accurately.
- Content: While some personalities may have a specific way of approaching topics, others might be inclined to discuss certain subjects. For example, if mimicking a historical figure like Einstein, the discussion might be steered toward topics of physics and philosophy.
- Test and Iterate: It’s often necessary to fine-tune the instructions and try multiple iterations to get the desired output.
Customizing ChatGPT to embody specific characters or personalities not only adds a layer of engagement but also enriches the conversational experience. By paying attention to instruction formulation, tone, vocabulary, unique traits, and relevant topics, users can transform the model into a more dynamic and interactive tool. Through iterative testing and fine-tuning, it becomes possible to capture the essence of a wide array of personalities, elevating the dialogue and creating a more immersive experience.
Other articles we have written that you may find of interest on the subject of ChatGPT and refining its responses :
Filed Under: Guides, Top News
Latest timeswonderful Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, timeswonderful may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.